First Quantum is committed to making positive steps towards sustainable development through:
- Economically viable investments
- Technically appropriate operations
- Environmentally sound practices and
- Socially responsible actions
This is achieved by:
Implementing sound corporate governance practices.
- Operating in a responsible manner towards employees through fair and equitable practices managed with a well developed and implemented HR system.
- Caring for the well being of the employees by implementing Health and Safety management systems based on the OHSAS/BSI 18001 Standard.
- Minimizing environmental impacts through implementation of an ISO 14001 based environmental management system.
- Reducing negative impacts through community development and HIV/Aids programs.
- Preventing and reducing health related impacts due to the Company’s activities by managing environmental risks at source.
- Monitoring security risks posed by security contractors employed by the Company’s operations.
- Transparent reporting on operations and activities.
- Implementing distinct and separate Environmental, Health and Safety, Human Resources, Community Development and Security systems which share synergies where synergies exist.
CSR Focus Areas
We focus our corporate social responsibility (CSR) program in five key areas:
Governance and Risk Management
- Majority independent board members
- Identification and management of risks
- Monitoring and auditing the Company’s Code of Conduct
- Implementation of external codes of practices
- Profitable business
- Local job creation
- Contribution to fiscal and foreign exchange income
- Access to mineral and capital resources
- Training and development
- Career development for talent retention
- Safety and occupational health
- Wider community health
- Staff motivation
- Impact assessment and mitigation management
- Management procedures and systems
- Scarce resource efficiency management
- Biodiversity management
- Effluent emissions management
- Effective community engagement and impact assessment
- Facilitation of broader poverty alleviation
- Human rights management
- Social infrastructure development
External Codes and Initiatives
Externally developed charters and sets of principles guide our CSR goals and strategy. In addition to complying with the national laws of our host countries, we are aligned with the following charters and principles: